Amazon Holiday Toy List
Cheap Discount Toys Online (Valid until Friday 10/08/2021)
How do they make kinetic sand?
The trademarked brand of Kinetic Sand is made up of 98% fine play sand, and 2% polymer is known as Dimethicone. Plus, of course, a touch of their secret ingredient.
The polymer becomes stretchy, squeezable, and does not dry with its wet look that looks like wet sand, but it isn’t wet at all. Sounds incredible? Yes, it is as it also always return to its natural state, and it only sticks to itself!
Kinetic sand is fun for both kids and adults alike. The polymer makes the sand come to life and breathes motion or resulting from motion. Kids would learn a lot in playing with this special sand, such as how force affects motion, how gravity influences the sand, and other basic scientific concepts.
For adults, kinetic sand could offer a calming and relaxing tool to relieve stress, tension, and anxiety. It could help them control their emotions and manage their stress by using it as an anti-stress ball.
The commercially made kinetic sand has a composition of 98% sand, 2% Silicon oil, or Polydimethylsiloxane, also known as Dimethicone.
You could mimic the original Kinetic Sand in the market today by using almost the same ingredients in it. Other homemade kinetic sands are made from simpler ingredients of cornstarch or flour and oil.
How to make Kinetic Sand
You would need the following materials:
- Super fine sand like the type of sand used in small globes or decorative containers. It comes in 5-pound bags. Avoid purchasing colored sand as they might be too coarse
- Dimethicone or Polydimethylsiloxane CH3[Si(CH3)2O]nSi(CH3)3, where n is the number of repeating monomer [SiO(CH3)2] units. It’s available in any cosmetics supply company. Dimethicone comes in various viscosities, and Dimethicone 500 could be used in this procedure.
- Small pan, such as an aluminum foil cake or pie pan.
- A hallow container to mix the Kinetic Sand
- Stirring rod or plastic spoon
Steps on how to make kinetic sand:
- Let your fine sand dry in an oven at 250°F for several hours or longer. Check it now and then
- Let your sand cool off to room temperature
- Weigh about 100 gram of sand in a small container or separate your sand into 100 gram per batch
- Add 2 g of Dimethicone per 100 gram of sand
- Stir and mix it well
- Make sure that the Dimethicone would sufficiently coat your sand; if not, you could add another 2 gram of the Dimethicone and stir thoroughly
- You might have to add additional amounts of Dimethicone but just in 2 gram quantities at a time until your sand would stick together like the commercially available Kinetic sand
- Please avoid using a large amount of the Dimethicone
- Your home-made Kinetic Sand might not exactly behave like original Kinetic Sand because they only use the finest sand
Buying pre-made kinetic sand would be great but it could also be so fun to try making some of this awesome and special sand on your own.
Can you imagine your kid moving, cutting, shaping it before your eyes? You’ll be ecstatic to see your kid have a grand time playing with the kinetic made out of your labor of love!
|Copyright © HappyGiftsForKids 2021. All Rights Reserved.||Powered by Echofavor|